Monday, January 02, 2006

Cuba - day two

December 13, 2005

The adventure continues....

After writing last night, I headed back to my room where I channel-surfed for a while (there was a Spanish-language American Idol-type dance contest show on. The dancing was not very good, I think I should go on!) and then went to sleep about midnight. Turns out the time difference from Vancouver is actually 4 hours, and even though it had been a long day, it was hard to get to sleep when my body thought it was still 8pm. Anyway I did sleep eventually, and was only briefly woken by the party-goers heading home at about 2am.

The alarm went off at 8 so I wouldn't miss my orientation, and that was a tough one. I finally dragged myself up about 8:30, and wasn't very happy about it. But I made it out, and to the buffet about half an hour before the orientation. There I met Ellen and her daughter Jenny. They were on the same bus as me last night, and we had discussed the tipping issue so they knew me already, and being very friendly outgoing types, they came to join me at my table while I ate. Ellen is living in Grand Forks, BC and Jenny is in Ladysmith, on the island. Jenny sounds to be quite the traveler, talks about Mexico a lot and speaks Spanish.

Orientation was interesting. Glad I went, thanks again Mom & Dad. I don't think I learned much I didn't already know, but I did get more details on the trip to Havana. I've booked to go tomorrow, and I'm very much looking forward to it. It leaves here at 9:30am and doesn't get back until about 1:00am. The price was very good for what you get too. The morning sounds pretty jam-packed with a cigar factory tour (I think) and lots of other things that I can't remember. Then we get taken for a 'traditional' Cuban lunch and then we get free time in the market. After that, we get taken to a 4 star hotel to shower and change, and then spend the evening at the Tropicana. Apparently, you get a bottle of rum with each admission, and you get an ice bucket filled with mixes, so you just have at it. Should be interesting. Ellen and Jenny are going too, so it'll be nice to know someone else there.

After booking my trip to Havana, I just wandered around the site trying to get the place figured out. I tried to attend the dance classes, but they were at the pool, and I was looking for them at the beach (I double-checked the sign tonight, and it said they were at the beach!). While I was at the beach, I discovered horses! So I arranged with Mario, the horse guy, to go for a ride at 3pm. Then I wandered back to my room to put on my bathing suit and lounge around by the pool for a while. It was a very nice lounge, I finished the first Harry Potter book, and very much enjoyed the sun.

The horse back ride was nice too. The horses weren't exactly interested in going fast, so it was quite leisurely. I was the only one along with Mario the guide, and he didn't speak much English, and I don't know any Spanish. I managed to figure out that he thought I was a pretty good catch though, and would like me to stay in Cuba - with him I imagine. Sheesh. He did pick me a very beautiful hibiscus flower. We rode past his relative’s house, where I got a piece of sugarcane, and got to try drinking coconut milk fresh from a newly-minted coconut (yuck). They also gave me a piece of fresh coconut - I watched him hack it open with a machete - and it didn't taste anything like the coconut I've had. It wasn't sweet, it was soft and fleshy and it really didn't taste coconut-y. Weird.

After the ride (and wriggling out of having my hand kissed by Mario) I wandered down the beach to see where it went.
Today is a red flag beach day - no swimming allowed. The main reason, I think, is because there were jellyfish all over the beach. I overheard some other folks saying that they were Portugese ManO'Wars and that they knew someone who had to be put in the hospital for two days after tangling with one. Good enough reason for me to stay away! They are pretty though when they're washed up on the beach, I'm going to try to remember to take a photo of one.

Now, I'm just waiting for the supper buffet to open. I arrived half an hour early, so what better way to spend that time than by chatting with you guys!

The noise from the lobby area has diminished, so I'm thinking dinner's served, so I'm off.

I think I will likely not be writing tomorrow, as the big day to Havana is going to not leave me writing time, but more on Thursday for sure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home