Monday, January 02, 2006

Cuba - look out, I'm here!!


December 12, 2005

Hola! I'm here! It's warm!!!

Although it's dark, I've already been for a walk on the beach, in my bare feet and shorts. Long sleeved shirt though, that cool ocean breeze, thanks for the heads up Mom & Dad!

The flight was awesome. I couldn't have planned a better one. The plane wasn't full, so I got an entire row for myself, and stretched out and slept pretty much the entire time. We even got here a half hour early because of strong tailwinds. Excellent!

Getting through customs in Varadero wasn't fun, not a problem, but it just took a VERY long time. And I somehow managed to choose the slowest line. But I got through, and that's what matters.

It was very strange to be inside a building that smelled of smoke though. I love Canada for the no indoor smoking rules.

I had visions of my luggage going round and round the carousel while I was in customs, but once I got through I discovered that it seemed to be having an adventure of it's own that it was enjoying, and didn't quite want to join me yet. After about 20 mins it arrived though, and the next stop for us was to change my money into the tourist currency – the Cuban Convertible Peso or CUC. Interestingly, it seems the exchange rate was better at the hotel than the airport, but only by a few cents, so I don't think it's going to break me.

After that, I handed 8 CUC's over to the two fellows who swooped down on me to 'help' me find the bus that would be taking me to my resort – they almost took me to the wrong one, good thing I was listening and paying attention! - and roll my luggage to it for me. After which they stood there expectantly.

The tipping dilemma began.

Because I didn't have any decent change, and only a 1, 3, and 5 note, the one with my heavy suitcase - that I had to pay an extra $56 to get here because it was 8kilos overweight and Air Transat charges $7 per extra kilo! - got the 5 and the other got the 3. I figured out afterwards that all total that tip cost me about $13. Oh well, I hope now that I've got that mistake out of the way, it won't be happening again.

I have an orientation to get the lay of the land tomorrow morning at 10, and then I'm off! I've already sussed out the yoga schedule and that happens at 9:30 every morning. Glad I brought some exercise stuff with me at the last minute! There are also dance lessons on the beach at noon, and percussion lessons at some point in the afternoon. They offer a morning hike, a walking tour, aquacise and various other activities.

There needn't be a dull moment from the looks of it!Overall, this has been a really great start to this vacation, and I just know it's only going to get better from here!

This internet room is open 24hrs a day, so I'll be writing again with an update of my activities. I hope all is well in Canada!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home